Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Is Google Making Us Stupid?: Response

I've been thinking about this issue recently. Cell phone and internet usage has effected my grammar in text messages. I get impatient when trying to find information on the internet only because I expect speed and efficiency from it, but I'm more patient with books and other traditional material. When writing notes, I sometimes use the @ symbol instead of spelling out at when brainstorming or text messaging, but that's as far as it goes. I can still read traditionally without getting impatient. I prefer reading, writing, and drawing etc. outside of the computer. I've tried typing my thoughts directly onto the computer for class assignments, but, I develop ideas better by writing them first. I'm prefer the imperfection and repetition of scratching out thoughts and re writing them, and I like writing my thoughts in graffiti.
I try to avoid giving into such potential habits from convenient internet usage by using correct grammar and punctuation in text messages, internet searches, and blogs etc. Ironically enough I still participate in various online activities.
As technology advances and traditional habits and tools become obsolete, we become more connected to and dependent on technology, and because of that, I maintain cautious about its advancements in terms of who's making it and why its advancing so rapidly. (new cell phone every month kind of thing) Will internet searches become more tightly regulated, or used in some subtle elitist fashion to manifest hidden agendas? What if everything we do outside of the internet becomes accessible only via internet, and we get taxed by the government for using it? (can only pay bills via internet etc.) Some of the following statements in the article forced me to weigh the potential pros and cons of our relationship with technology, and the intentions of people in charge of making it.

"Google is really trying to build artificial intelligence and do it on a large scale."

"Certainly if you had all the world's information directly attached to your brain, or an artificial brain that was smarter than your brain, you'd be better off."

"In the past man has been first, in the future the system must be first."
Recently, I watched a documentary about Transhumanism, and I think it fits well with this discussion. One speaker made a powerful comment. He spoke of the study in a religious context. "In a way, our heaven is the future, and in a way technology is our god." After reading the article and watching the documentary I can't help but question where does it end?

Pt 1 Technocalyps Transhumanism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnQMHl8P5jA

Pt 2 Technocalyps Preparing for the Singularity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqBiGPzFYgM

Pt 3 Technocalyps The Digital Messiah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV0kbtLTYVg


No comments:

Post a Comment